If you haven’t heard of Drake, you should probably go ahead and issue urself a FAIL sticker to the forehead. The Toronto native, Drake aka Drizzy, has taken the hip hop world by storm inundating every hip hop site in the blogospehere. His So Far Gone mixtape is sure to be the most talked about, if not the most successful mixtape of 2009 and features collaborations with the likes of Lil Wayne and Trey Songz. But then, all of his mixtapes have gotten mad love from fans and industry insiders alike. Which is probably why you should get familiar with the kid, cause he aint going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, Drake recently signed with Dr. Dre’s Interscope Records, and since then has been touring North America hitting up smaller venues and colleges, in an effort to connect with his fanbase and create a buzz (as if people don’t know who he is smh).
I personally have not come across any Drake haters, whether you’re a huge fan (like I am) or not, you have to respect his hustle. The extremely talented urban Renaissance man is a former actor (used to be a character on the teen show Degrassi. I know, I couldn’t believe it either. LOL) who sings, writes, and flows. Speaking of flows, can I just point out how engaging and entertaining his style is? And I cant remember a time when I thought a rapper was this physically attractive. The fact that hes tall, dark and model handsome definitely doesn’t hurt is plight. I can already see the Louis Vuitton ads in the works. Check out this video of him performing this summers smash single (already getting radio play in major cities) “The Best I Ever Had”, the ladies sing so loud they practically drown him out!
In addition to the laundry list of reasons to love the guy, heres one more: Drake proves that fame and success can still be achieved organically based on someone’s talent and hard work, proving that you don’t need a catchy club hit or some whacky dance along song to build a fanbase. As a fellow artsist and lover of hip hop, I definitely feel that. If you’d like to catch Drizzy on tour, go to his myspace page for dates myspace.com/thisisdrake. I know I’ll most definitely be in attendance for his May 23rd show in Los Angeles, its going to be crazy! Come out and catch him at a small venue before he launches a megatour w/ Weezie and you lose the chance to see him in an intimate setting. And if you have twitter his official site is twitter.com/drakkardnoir. Bottom Line: Watch out for this guy, hes the new face of GOOD, universally accepted hip hop. Drizzy is definitely in a league of his own, hes spreading like a bad epidemic and I don’t think anyone wants the cure for this fever.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment